Saturday, May 9, 2015

Moving to a Peaceful Setting

It is making such a difference to be living in a peaceful setting.

It would not be everyone’s goal to move to the country, using what skills you have to finish the inside of a cabin, collect rainwater, read by flashlight, and start a garden from scratch.

But, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

In fact, I like this world much better.

Today, I was able to take my first “garden” shower.  It has warmed up enough that the camping shower, plus a quart of heated water was very pleasant outdoors.

We still have our indoor camping shower, which we mix with cold and hot water to the right temperature, but it was nice to be able to bathe surrounded by Nature.

We have been walking back and forth to our covered deck where I have set up my gardening supplies.

I have over sixty plants from two plant sales, and about half of them are in containers now, ready to grow in earnest.

I used rainwater which I collected in five-galling buckets from the roof of the covered deck.

My soil mix is in thirds - coir (coconut fiber), vermiculite #3, and compost.  A dozen five-gallon buckets now hold various herbs, squash, kale and peppers.

Another two dozen of a different commercial organic soil mix will hold peppers, tomatoes and more herbs.

The same soil mix will be in a raised garden bed for more veggies and flowers.

I will add various supplemental microbial stimulants to enrich the soil.

And then, we will see what happens.

We are still preparing the garden fence, as we are next to a wildlife conservation area in addition to our own wildlife inhabitants. 

We listen to jazz on the radio as we pick up our raw milk from a local dairy.

We watch the fireflies come out at night.

Tonight, it is cloudy, so we will expect some more rain to help our garden grow.

It is a different, lush setting for two city folks, who are rapidly learning about country living.

Sharing the peace…


© 2015 Kathryn Hardage

www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment