Sunday, November 17, 2013

Person to Person

The issue of race is being addressed most effectively person to person as well as through the several anniversaries of legal achievements.

The courageous acts of children and their parents to break the race barrier is of inestimable value.

Throughout my teaching career, I had the honor of teaching children of all races with many marvelous and dedicated teachers of all races.

Because of the prevalence of historical attitudes, there is a racial residue we are still dealing with.

By working with everyone and experiencing similar situations, it is possible to get to know more individuals and their stories.

When I am in conversation in multi-racial situations, I always feel an underlying evaluation process.

Am I sympathetic?  Aware?  Whose side am I on?

Once it is apparent where I stand, and that it is OK, I am accepted more fully into the conversation.

This happens each time, person to person.

As we seek out the experiences which put us in touch with more individuals, we will have more opportunities to lessen this historical residue and help create more awareness with our individual friendships.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment