Saturday, August 17, 2013

Friends and Appreciation


It was an unexpected pleasure to run into a friend I had not seen for several months when my husband and I were in a different part of town.

Earlier in the week, when we were out of town, someone had come up to me and recognized that I had stayed with them several months ago.

The first call we received when we got home from out of town was from someone we worked with in the other town.

That was an extension of friendship, too.

Recognizing someone in a different context gives a sense of appreciation for them.

It expands the friendship.

It lets us related to them in a new place, a new way.

It feels good to be seen and known.

It is so easy to connect with people once we know them.

It is also easy to get to know new people when we appreciate where they are coming from.

It gives me a new dimension of peace to recognize in folks, whether I know them or not, the sameness of all of us.

It brings us all together in appreciation of what we each have to offer and share with each other, just in daily life.

This is what shapes my life, my ability to appreciate and be appreciated, in little ways, in ways that let me connect, both with people I already know, and with the new friends I am making.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage
www.InspiredPractices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment