Friday, December 27, 2013

Community and Communion

This holiday season I find that I am not cringing from too many loud gatherings of family and friends.

My husband and I made a conscious effort to contribute to several celebrations, but we did it ahead of time (i.e. mailed gifts) and also met with only a single couple or a small group at several different times.

I find that I am grateful I stood up for my own desires this holiday season.

I enjoyed the celebrations and they were not overwhelming for me at all.

I still have energy and I am thinking about ways to continue contributing and celebrating many more times during the year.

Perhaps I will have a single kid celebration, kind of like recognition on a birthday, only it won’t be loud or compete with other things that are going on.

Perhaps I will simply decide what I value most about a person and let him/her know in some individual way.

Perhaps, even on traditional holidays, I will come up with a unique way to celebrate it and let people know I value them.

I am energized to keep reinventing my community and to allow it to grow gently and quietly as more of a communion than a festival, perhaps.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment